Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

I'll Make Sure To Keep My "Distance"

Hey Everyone,
     So on my winter break I got off on a little bit of an obsession with Christina Perri, who is an amazing artist and this is my absolute favorite song on her album, "Lovestrong" and it's called "Distance". It's a really beautiful song and one I think will speak to a lot of people.
     You can find the lyrics here. As far as Christina's inspiration for the song, she has said this:
"I wrote it about being in love with someone and not being able to tell them. All of my songs are so specific. They're a story in my life or something I went through which I pull from. I wrote this about the summer of 2010. I fell in love with someone, and we had to work pretty closely together. I had to pretend I didn't like him which was the hardest thing for me because I'm not good at lying [Laughs]. The song is about the feelings and swimming in that kind of tension when you're around someone and trying to keep it cool. That's what it means for me. Instead of telling him I loved him, I wrote it to him in a song. That's where I go."
 So the story of the song here starts off as she is waking up with this person and she wakes up before him. She realizes that she loves him but doesn't know if he feels the same way. Sometimes she wishes that they didn't ever see each other because she thinks maybe it'd be easier that way. And she mentions that he has all different names for what is happening between them but she is afraid to say how she really feels and tell him she's in love and she thinks maybe he is too. She's scared to take things faster than he is ready for because she doesn't want to lose him but she can't help the way she feels. And she wants to know how much longer they can go on with neither of them saying how they really feel.
She talks about how when she is near him, it's hard for her to even breathe.  And she is afraid that maybe he knows how she feels and that maybe he sees it but doesn't return the feeling. But she still gives him every part of her, and loves him unconditionally, hoping he does the same. And she just keeps waiting for him to say how he really feels and realize how amazing they could be together, and until then she will just keep things the way they are.
     This is a rather complicated subject. Because honestly things could go many different ways in this situation. You could admit how you feel and scare him away but in that instance, he isn't worth your love if he's going to be scared by it. You could keep quiet and miss out on something potentially amazing. You could say how you feel and get the same response from him and have something amazing. Like I said, it could go many different ways. No matter what happens I think that if you're in this situation you should say how you feel and if it's meant to be then it's meant to be. There is nothing you can do to change fate. If you just accept that, everything will be fine.

Much Love,
-Autumn the Music Girl

2 comments:

  1. Another awesome post, Autumn. Never heard of Christina Perri, but she's got an amazing voice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really does have an amazing voice and she's had a couple of #1's over the years but she still isn't super well known yet... I'm rooting for her though!

    ReplyDelete